Welcome to SERG
SERG, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization founded in 2002, helps Vermont and New Hampshire homeowners and towns use less energy save money and protect the environment through education, outreach and community organizing.
We help form, consult with and offer support to Town Energy Committees and educate homeowners throughout Vermont and New Hampshire.
SERG Program Highlights!
Energy Issues in Existing Homes: What Real Estate Professionals Need to Know
Several workshops are coming up in May and June. For more information visit our Events and Workshops page.
Vermont Home Energy Challenge
SERG is assisting Energy Committees throughout the Upper Valley participate in the Vermont Home Energy Challenge. SERG has a number of resources to assist Energy Committees throughout Vermont in implementing the Challenge:
- Challenge Power Point presentation
- Thetford Case Summaries
- Case Summaries Template
- Thetford Case Studies: Biddle , Toth
- Other Thetford HEAT documents: available on our TEC Resources page under Thetford HEAT
For more information or assistance with the Challenge, contact SERG's Bob Walker at 802-785-4126, bwalker@SERG-info.org or Paul Markowitz from Efficiency Vermont at 888-921-5990 x7608 or firstname.lastname@example.org
A Look Ahead to 2013
2012 was a busy and productive year for SERG but our work is not done yet! Take a look at what we have planned so far for 2013! (pdf version)
Vermont Home Energy Challenge
- Help towns get 3% of their homes weatherized in 2013
- Assist with overall development and roll out of statewide Challenge
- Advisory committee meetings
- Statewide participating towns meeting
- Workshops on Thetford activities at statewide meeting
- Consult with and assist up to 10 participating Upper Valley towns
- Conduct pilot outreach activities in Thetford and share with other towns
- Promote community-based renewable power
- Present with Margaret Cheney about our 2012 Germany trip in Montpelier, Brattleboro,Thetford and other interested communities
- Post 11/29/12 Montshire presentation on CATV and on-line
- Work with Margaret to consider legislative initiatives
- Promote and assist Upper Valley community/communities in implementing pilot renewable energy initiatives
- Assist Heinrich Boll Foundation in organizing spring 2013 Vermont/New England tour by German energy experts
- Develop list of community renewable financial, technical and legal resources
- Form and assist town energy committees
- Organize May Upper Valley regional energy committee roundtable
- Help organize Nov./Dec. day-long statewide energy committee conference
- Help towns in the Upper Valley and Vermont form new town energy committees
- Teach Realtors about the value of home weatherization
- Present 6 to 12 accredited workshops in New Hampshire
- Get workshop accredited in Vermont
- Develop resources on reducing energy use in the built environment for regional plan
- Develop information resources and links
- Provide case studies of successful projects
- Host public informational sessions
- Assist in developing web content and regional policies
- Produce and disseminate regular updates
- Develop energy-saving tips column for media outlets
- Organize topical public energy forums
- Present Button Up Home Energy-Saving Workshops
Resources from the Germany Energy Transition Presentation
Powerpoint presentations and talking points from SERG Director Bob Walker and Vermont State Representative Margaret Cheney's November 29, 2012 presentation at the Montshire Museum about their renewable energy tour of Germany are available below.
Thank you to all who attended the presentation! The event was a huge success with over 150 people attending to hear about the remarkable and inspiring work Germany has been achieving in the renewable energy sector. Public Access television filmed the presentation. We will post airing times and a link to the video soon.
SERG Annual Appeal
Once a year SERG asks you to support our efforts to fight the effects of rising energy costs and increased health and environmental damage. More than a third of SERG's support comes from individual donors. Please make a generous tax-deductible contribution today!
, SERG Executive Director and Board President
Sustainable Energy Resource Group
432 Ulman Rd., Thetford Center, VT 05075
Erin Sterner, SERG Education and Outreach Assistant
Join Our Email List
SERG Board Members:
- Clifton Below
- Jeff Bernstein – President and Managing Director of BCK Law, P.C.
- Alan Berolzheimer, SERG Secretary/Treasurer – Historian and Chair of Norwich Energy Committee
- Buff McLaughry – Chief Operating Officer of Lang McLaughry Spera Real Estate
- Bob Walker – SERG Founder, President and Executive Director
- Dori Wolfe – Founder Wolfe Energy