Welcome to SERG
SERG, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization founded in 2002, helps Vermont and New Hampshire homeowners and towns use less energy save money and protect the environment through education, outreach and community organizing.
We help form, consult with and offer support to Town Energy Committees and educate homeowners throughout Vermont and New Hampshire.
SERG Program Highlights!
Energy Issues in Existing Homes: What Real Estate Professionals Need to Know
Several workshops are coming up in May and June. For more information visit our Events and Workshops page.
Vermont Home Energy Challenge
SERG is assisting Energy Committees throughout the Upper Valley participate in the Vermont Home Energy Challenge. SERG has a number of resources to assist Energy Committees throughout Vermont in implementing the Challenge:
- Challenge Power Point presentation
- Thetford Case Summaries
- Case Summaries Template
- Thetford Case Studies: Biddle , Toth
- Other Thetford HEAT documents: available on our TEC Resources page under Thetford HEAT
For more information or assistance with the Challenge, contact SERG's Bob Walker at 802-785-4126, bwalker@SERG-info.org or Paul Markowitz from Efficiency Vermont at 888-921-5990 x7608 or email@example.com
A Look Ahead to 2014
2013 was a busy and productive year for SERG but our work is not done yet! Take a look at what we have planned so far for 2014! (pdf version)
Town Energy Committees – Help form and assist town energy committees.
- Organize May Upper Valley regional energy committee roundtable.
- Organize Nov./Dec. statewide Vermont Energy and Climate Action Cconference.
- Help towns in the Upper Valley and Vermont form new town energy committees.
- Help establish 2-3 NH regional EC coordinating efforts, similar to SERG
Home Weatherization – Develop, promote and implement pilot weatherization outreach and education programs to reduce home energy use.
- Conduct fee-for-service Home Performance with Energy Star audits.
- Educate participants in Vital Community’s “Solarize” project about the benefits of home weatherization.
- Assist town energy committees throughout the Upper Valley in developing and implementing weatherization programs.
- Present Button Up Home Energy-Saving Workshops.
Community Renewables – Promote community-based renewable power.
- Develop guide listing community renewable financial, technical and legal resources and models.
- Promote and assist Upper Valley communities in implementing pilot renewable energy initiatives.
- Assist Vital Communities with their “Solarize UV” project.
Realtor Workshop – Educate Realtors about the value of home weatherization.
- Present 6 to 12 accredited classes for NH Realtors about the value of home weatherization.
- Develop accredited class for realtors in Vermont.
Regional Sustainability Plan – Develop resources on reducing energy use in the built environment for the East Central Vermont Sustainability plan.
- Develop information resources and links.
- Provide case studies of successful projects.
- Host public information sessions.
- Assist in developing web content and regional policies.
Outreach and Education – Produce and disseminate regular newsletter of energy saving tips and resources to list of over 2,000. Organize topical public energy forums.
Resources from the Germany Energy Transition Presentation
Powerpoint presentations and talking points from SERG Director Bob Walker and Vermont State Representative Margaret Cheney's November 29, 2012 presentation at the Montshire Museum about their renewable energy tour of Germany are available below.
Thank you to all who attended the presentation! The event was a huge success with over 150 people attending to hear about the remarkable and inspiring work Germany has been achieving in the renewable energy sector. Public Access television filmed the presentation. We will post airing times and a link to the video soon.
SERG Annual Appeal
Once a year SERG asks you to support our efforts to fight the effects of rising energy costs and increased health and environmental damage. More than a third of SERG's support comes from individual donors. Please make a generous tax-deductible contribution today!
, SERG Executive Director and Board President
Sustainable Energy Resource Group
432 Ulman Rd., Thetford Center, VT 05075
Erin Sterner, SERG Education and Outreach Assistant
Join Our Email List
SERG Board Members:
- Clifton Below - former NH state senator and Public Utilities Commissioner
- Jeff Bernstein - President and Managing Director of BCK Law, P.C.
- Alan Berolzheimer - SERG Secretary/Treasurer, Historian, Editor and Chair of Norwich Energy Committee
- Buff McLaughry - Chief Operating Officer of Lang McLaughry Spera Real Estate
- Bob Walker - SERG Founder, President and Executive Director
- Dori Wolfe – owner Wolfe Energy consulting, chair of Strafford Energy Committee