Welcome to SERG
SERG, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization founded in 2002, helps Vermont and New Hampshire homeowners and towns use less energy save money and protect the environment through education, outreach and community organizing.
We help form, consult with and offer support to Town Energy Committees and educate homeowners throughout Vermont and New Hampshire.
SERG Program Highlights!
7th Annual Upper Valley Energy Committee Roundtable
Wednesday April 30th
The 7th annual Upper Valley Energy Committee Roundtable will be held April 30th at the Bugbee Senior Center in White River Junction, VT from 5:30 to 8:30. The event is free and a light buffet dinner will be provided. Please RSVP by April 23rd here. We look forward to seeing you there!
Thank you to all the event sponsors and organizers!
Building Energy, Co-Op Food Stores, Solaflect Energy, Window Improvement Masters, Catamount Solar, Home Comfort Warehouse, Integrity Energy, Little Green Hydro, RGS Energy, Solar Source, New Hampshire Local Energy Work Group, Two Rivers-Ottauquechee Regional Commission Upper Valley Lake Sunapee Regional Planning Commission Southern Windsor County Regional Planning Commission Vital Communities Sustainable Energy Resource Group Vermont Energy and Climate Action Network.
Upper Valley Electric Vehicle Demo and Forum
Thursday May 15
The Upper Valley Electric Vehicle Demonstration and Forum will take place Thursday, May 15, at the Montshire Museum, in Norwich, VT.
- 5:30 to 7pm – Come see and test ride electric cars from 3 dealers and 17 local owners, including the Tesla Roadster (see photo on our poster here) and Model S, Chevy Volt, Ford C-Max and Focus electric, Mitsubishi i-MiEV, Nissan Leaf, Prius Plug-in, and Smart EV. There will also be electric bikes from Zoombike and the Solar Electric Cargo Bike available for test drives.
- 7pm – We will move inside to the Porter Community Room for a presentation by Dave Roberts of Drive Electric Vermont, followed by a discussion with EV's owners and dealers until 8 pm. Displays inside cover public charging stations by Voltrek, and charging your EV with solar power by Energy Emporium. Ted Dillard of the Boston chapter of the Electric Auto Association will have a display from the Mt Washington ALT Energy Summit, with his racing electric Yamaha R5 motorcycle on view.
Stop by, listen to the latest EV news, talk to the owners, and take a test ride!
Thanks to our sponsors Lamoille Valley Ford, Twin State Ford and Lovering Mitsubishi for making this event possible.
Energy Issues in Existing Homes: What Real Estate Professionals Need to Know
More workshops are coming up! Contact us for more information.
Our Work in 2014
2013 was a busy and productive year for SERG but our work is not done yet! Take a look at what we have planned so far for 2014! (pdf version)
Town Energy Committees – Help form and assist town energy committees.
- Organize May Upper Valley regional energy committee roundtable.
- Organize Nov./Dec. statewide Vermont Energy and Climate Action Cconference.
- Help towns in the Upper Valley and Vermont form new town energy committees.
- Help establish 2-3 NH regional EC coordinating efforts, similar to SERG
Home Weatherization – Develop, promote and implement pilot weatherization outreach and education programs to reduce home energy use.
- Conduct fee-for-service Home Performance with Energy Star audits.
- Educate participants in Vital Community’s “Solarize” project about the benefits of home weatherization.
- Assist town energy committees throughout the Upper Valley in developing and implementing weatherization programs.
- Present Button Up Home Energy-Saving Workshops.
Community Renewables – Promote community-based renewable power.
- Develop guide listing community renewable financial, technical and legal resources and models.
- Promote and assist Upper Valley communities in implementing pilot renewable energy initiatives.
- Assist Vital Communities with their “Solarize UV” project.
Realtor Workshop – Educate Realtors about the value of home weatherization.
- Present 6 to 12 accredited classes for NH Realtors about the value of home weatherization.
- Develop accredited class for realtors in Vermont.
Regional Sustainability Plan – Develop resources on reducing energy use in the built environment for the East Central Vermont Sustainability plan.
- Develop information resources and links.
- Provide case studies of successful projects.
- Host public information sessions.
- Assist in developing web content and regional policies.
Outreach and Education – Produce and disseminate regular newsletter of energy saving tips and resources to list of over 2,000. Organize topical public energy forums.
SERG Annual Appeal
Once a year SERG asks you to support our efforts to fight the effects of rising energy costs and increased health and environmental damage. More than a third of SERG's support comes from individual donors. Please make a generous tax-deductible contribution today!
, SERG Executive Director and Board President
Sustainable Energy Resource Group
432 Ulman Rd., Thetford Center, VT 05075
Erin Sterner, SERG Education and Outreach Assistant
Join Our Email List
SERG Board Members:
- Clifton Below - former NH state senator and Public Utilities Commissioner
- Jeff Bernstein - President and Managing Director of BCK Law, P.C.
- Alan Berolzheimer - SERG Secretary/Treasurer, Historian, Editor and Chair of Norwich Energy Committee
- Buff McLaughry - Chief Operating Officer of Lang McLaughry Spera Real Estate
- Bob Walker - SERG Founder, President and Executive Director
- Dori Wolfe – owner Wolfe Energy consulting, chair of Strafford Energy Committee